Community-Centered Design: Researcher-in-Residence
Foossa is a collective of designers, strategists, and storytellers united by a common purpose: animating communities around civic action. Our partners are community-based organizations, multilateral institutions, startups, foundations, and socially-conscious companies. Our tools are design production work, strategic advising, and campaign development. With your help, we’ll also have a series of written assets that spread our thinking and share what we’re
Help Us “Write the Book” on Community-Centered Design
We're looking for an intern to help us research and articulate our vision of community-centered design as a means of defining and addressing social challenges. This work will likely include:
- Conducting a lit review (academic and professional)
- Researching case studies
- Summarizing and synthesizing research
- Coauthoring blog posts, white papers, and other public-facing media
Depending on your strengths and interests, this internship could also be an opportunity to assist on client projects and business development efforts.
This is a substantive position, and you’re someone with some serious chops for research and synthesis, and an abiding interest in design thinking for the public good.
If you are…
- Comfortable formulating your own agenda based on high-level objectives
- Intensely curious, with the drive to sustain that curiosity
- Okay with regularly sharing work in progress
- Interested in working with a small, distributed team
- An amateur anthropologist, psychologist, or designer
- Interested in building new models for Design (yes, that’s big “D” design)
- Convinced that a “Like” shouldn’t be the last word on engagement
… then we’d love to hear from you. We imagine that this internship is best-suited to grad students with some experience in the design space, but we are most interested in finding the right fit; all are encouraged to apply.
We are flexible about the number of hours worked, and we imagine that work will be a mix of
independent and on-site coworking time. We will try to offer academic credit for the position, but, if it's not available at your institution, we will offer a modest stipend.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The cover letter should express your interest in this particular position and address your research and design experience.